Course Dates: September 25 to October 20, 2017
Metabarcoding is a rapidly evolving method for assessing biodiversity from environmental DNA. It has a wide range of applications: biodiversity monitoring, animal diet assessment, reconstruction of paleo communities, among others. DNA metabarcoding relies on molecular techniques such as PCR and next generation sequencing, and requires bioinformatics and biostatistics competence to analyze sequencing results. This approach integrates several scientific areas and requires a broad range of skills in addition to the basic knowledge related to the considered research topic. This program will provide an overview of the state of current technology and the various platforms used. The course consists of a series of online lectures and research exercises introducing different aspects of metabarcoding and environmental DNA research. We will also touch on the suite of bioinformatics tools available for sequence analysis and data interpretation.
Course Learning Outcomes
At the end of the course, the successful student will be able to
- Describe and comprehend the background of metabarcoding technology and eDNA analysis.
- Identify species by performing data base queries with common databases and interpretation of results.
- Critically evaluate studies that utilized DNA-based taxonomy.
- Develop skills to make informed decisions about the choice of a Next generation sequencing platform and laboratory needs.
- Synthesize knowledge and effectively communicate about DNA Barcoding for grant proposals and interaction with policy makers.
- Next Generation Sequencing
- Environmental DNA (eDNA)
- Metabarcoding Analytics
- Applications/Recent research
Dirk Steinke, Director, Ed. & Outreach, Biodiversity Institute of Ontario
Working knowledge of DNA Barcoding and sequencing basics.
Your performance in the course will be assessed through two online quizzes, two written assignments, and participation in online discussions.
- Online Quizzes – 2 x 20% = 40%
- Online Discussions – 20%
- Assignments 2 x 20% = 40%
$549.00 Plus HST. Register 30 days in advance and take advantage of the Early Bird Registration Fee.
Type and Location
This is a four-week, online (web-based) continuing education course providing 16 hours of instructional time.
This is an online, web-based course. There is a schedule of studies and course activities due each week. You may log on and off the website at any time during the week.
Ready to Register?
Visit the Metabarcoding registration page for the online registration form.